Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Would Buy For My Dad


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  This week's topic is a Father's Day freebie, so I wanted to list some books I'd buy for my own dad!  My dad is a pretty cool guy (I mean, he'd have to be, to put up with me during my teenage years!).  He instilled in me a love of the outdoors and was a big influence in me becoming the reader I am today.

  
 

Into Thin Air: My dad is an avid outdoorsman - he loves hiking, skiing, and backpacking.  I think he would be fascinated by this account of the 1996 disaster on Mt. Everest (maybe not so much the disaster part, but the prep that goes into a climb like that!).

Rick Steves Germany 2017: Rick Steves' guidebooks are a must-have when you're traveling.  My dad and stepmom have taken some amazing trips in the last couple years, and I know Germany is on their wishlist.

Braving it: A Father, a Daughter, and an Unforgettable Journey into the Alaskan Wild: I get my love of hiking from my dad, so I thought this memoir about a father and daughter traveling and working together in Alaska would be perfect.

Game 7, 1986: Failure and Triumph in the Biggest Game of My Life: My dad is a huge Mets fan, so I think he would really enjoy this in-depth look at Game 7 in the year they won the World Series.

The Devil in the White City: My sister and I love the non-fiction works of Erik Larson.  She mentioned his books to our dad, and he seemed really interested in them.  This is the perfect one to start with.

What book would you buy for your dad?
 


20 comments:

  1. Great take on the topic! My own dad isn't that big of a reader, but if I'd buy him a book it would either be one by his favorite Belgian author or a travel book because he loves travelling :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Travel books are always a good idea for people who like to explore new places!

      Delete
  2. Devil in the White City is a great book. Hope they finally make the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool! I didn't know it was potentially being made into a movie. That would be good!

      Delete
  3. Such great picks!! I think I would enjoy the Mets book even though I am a Yankees fan :) I love sports and really need to read more nonfiction books on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm not so much into sports, but my dad and brother are huge Mets fans - they're the only ones, though, the rest of the family likes the Yankees!

      Delete
  4. Great topic! My dad isn't into books as much as I am, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, that's too bad! My dad is the type of person who always has a book with him. I remember seeing him reading during breaks in my high school volleyball games.

      Delete
  5. Interesting list. My dad used to love to read but he always read this weird metaphysical books and meditative stuff. He just doesnt' read as much anymore, which is sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad! My dad used to read a lot of Clive Cussler and similar authors, so pretty mainstream.

      Delete
  6. Great list! I might have to look into some of these books for my dad! Unfortunately, he doesn't read but I've been diligent about forcing him into reading some awesome books through the years that he's grateful for-- all is not lost with him. Happy reading!

    Here's my Top Ten Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's great that you can get your dad into reading! My dad is a big reader and I tried to pick some things that are outside his normal reading sphere.

      Delete
  7. Nice list! My stepdad is more into science, physics, history, and politics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad is so smart and basically knows everything, but I think his reading tastes veer more towards mystery/thriller.

      Delete
  8. Great list! I wish my dad was more of a reader because I can think of a lot of books I'd love for him to read. Even though he was the one who taught me how to read, these days he pretty much only reads the newspaper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, that's kind of like my mom. She read a lot with us when we were little, but now she's not into it so much, although I think she wants to be!

      Delete
  9. Just ordered Braving It for my dad! Thanks SOOO much for the recommendation. I was struggling to find something, and I think this book will be perfect! My dad is an avid hiker. I would love to start. I've immensely enjoyed the few short hikes I've been on but am looking forward to spending more time outdoors when I can...maybe with dad. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great!! I actually bought that one for my dad for Father's Day this year! I love hiking, and that's all due to my dad! I hope hiking becomes something you and you father can enjoy together!

      Delete
  10. Ahhh... You always make the most interesting lists! I love that! Thank you so much for the recs. Braving it looks like something I would enjoy myself!

    Great picks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, Di! I had Braving It on my TBR and then thought it would be perfect for my dad, so I actually bought it for him for Father's Day this weekend. Hopefully I can borrow it from him!

      Delete

I'm so glad you stopped by, and I would love to hear your thoughts! Comments are always greatly appreciated!