Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: Things That Make Me Want to Read a Book


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and The Bookish.  This week's topic is things that will make me instantly want to read a book.  Going back through my Goodreads log of books I've read, I can see definite patterns in the types of books I choose, so here's my list of things that will make me want to pick up a book!

  1. A pretty or striking cover.  Not every book that has a good cover is something I will want to read, but it helps!  I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a cover snob - if I'm not drawn in by the cover, I won't even take the time to see what the book is about.
  2. Dual timelines: I'm a sucker for a story with dual timelines.  There's just something about the past and present colliding that really speaks to me, especially if it involves...
  3. World War I or World War II: I'm just so drawn to these time periods.
  4. Psychological thrillers: I've been obsessed with thrillers lately, so if that phrase is in the blurb, I'm probably adding it to my TBR.
  5. A family in crisis: I love reading stories about families that are facing great odds or trying to put the pieces back together.  If the story's focus is on just the siblings or even twins, that's even better!
  6. An old English estate: Perhaps it's my love of Downton Abbey, but I seek out stories that feature a countryside manor that plays as big a role as any of the characters.  I like reading about upstairs/downstairs relations, dilapidated houses that are being restored, and parties in ballrooms.
  7. Alzheimer's: Ok, this is kind of a strange one, but no matter how many times I've cried while reading a book about someone with Alzheimer's, if the blurb mentions this terrible disease, I'm probably going to want to read it. 
  8. A supernatural element that feels real: I don't read a ton of fantasy, but I do enjoy novels that feature some kind of mystical element, whether that's clairvoyants, mediums, or fortune tellers.
  9. The Tudor dynasty: I am obsessed with Henry VIII, his 6 wives, and his children.  If a book is even tangentially related to the Tudors, I'm in!
  10. Paris: I don't know if I'll ever get to visit the City of Lights, so I get my fix through books.  If a book takes place in Paris, it almost doesn't matter what the rest of the book is about.

Do any of these make you instantly want to read a book, too?
 

37 comments:

  1. I had pretty covers too!! I forgot WWII and Paris because they are so go to ones for me. Dual timelines and family in crisis will definitely make me take a second look at a book. Great list!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I definitely think pretty covers are musts for a lot of readers!

      Delete
  2. Always the old English estate. I would live in one in real life too! http://mwgerard.com/top-ten-tuesday-things-that-make-me-want-to-read-a-book/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know! There's just something so amazing about them!

      Delete
  3. What a great list! You have so many that I didn't think of for mine: beautiful/striking cover, dual timelines, and WWII. There are just so many things to love about books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know, my list probably could have been way longer!

      Delete
  4. Oh, duel timelines is a good one! I always love that in books. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Seriously, if the blurb says there are two timelines going on, it immediately gets added to my TBR!

      Delete
  5. Yes, dual timelines can be so amazing! And Paris, also an instant yes :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I nodded my head to several on your list. I want a good story, sometimes I look for humor and light and funny, sometimes I like a thriller or a paranormal. I also love books set in places I like to visit like Paris. I am also drawn to WWII and the Civil War. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I always look for a good story - either something that intrigues me or something I can relate to.

      Delete
  7. I love a WWII setting. They're so incredible to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I really just never get tired of it!

      Delete
  8. Lately I've been getting into dual timelines as well. Just love love love that in a book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes for Tudor! Haven't read any Tudor era books but I'd love to!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, dual timelines is a big one for me as well. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes! Cover snobs unite! I know we're not supposed to judge books by them, but sometimes... Great list, thanks for sharing!

    https://allthebookblognamesaretaken.blogspot.com/2017/04/top-ten-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1-5 are definitely things I find appealing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Psychological thrillers are big for me right now, so I agree there! And English estates are always good. I'm a sucker for a good cover, and Paris is a favorite setting as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I completely forgot WWII on my list! Dual timelines are great, too. Have you read The Distant Hours? It has both! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading it right now!! It's one of my favorite books!

      Delete
  15. Paris is a big draw for me too. I forgot to add it to my list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohhhh I love mystical elements as well so, so much. Lovely list! <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! Great list. I probably should have had Paris on my list, too!
    My TTT
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, we don't have too many in common but I definitely agree with a gorgeous cover!!!!

    Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by, and I would love to hear your thoughts! Comments are always greatly appreciated!