Three years ago, in honor of our wedding anniversary, I wrote a little post about what happens when a book lover marries a non-reader. Since Tom and I just celebrated another year of marriage, I was inspired by him to write a post about all the ways someone can support their bookish partner and their reading habits, because he has always been so encouraging towards me and my books! Although I had my husband in mind when I put together this list, I don't see why many of these couldn't apply to other relationships in your life, as well! So, without further ado, here are 15 ways to support the bookworms in your life:
- Buy them books
- Or, if you don't know what book to buy them, give them a gift card so they can pick out their own!
- Don't get annoyed if they pick up a book while you're watching a TV show or movie together - multitasking!
- Understand that a trip to the library will likely be included in many weekend errand runs...
- And have a fully charged phone to play on while your partner inevitably disappears in the library to browse the shelves, even though they were just running in to pick up some holds
- At least pretend that the location of a library nearby is a legitimate concern when choosing a house to buy
- Help create space in your home for your bookworm to display their treasured tomes...
- And stay calm when said bookworm quickly overfills that space and books start ending up in every room of your house
- Really listen when they want to tell you about their current read
- Comfort them when a book makes them cry or angry
- Take them to browse a bookstore
- Help them choose what to read next
- If you need gift ideas, a book-loving individual can never have too many bookmarks/bookish mugs/tote bags/other book-related merch
- Understand that if you're watching a book-to-movie or TV adaptation together, they will point out every little thing that's been changed and that most likely, "the book was better"
- Cultivate your own hobbies for those times your bookworm is lost for hours in a story
|Photo by The Markows Photography|
What are some other ways to support book lovers? What's the nicest thing someone has done for you as a bookworm?