Friday, December 20, 2019

Holiday Mini-Reviews

Christmas Camp by Karen Schaler (2019)

Ad executive Haley has to attend a Christmas Camp before her boss will let her pitch a big account that could help her become partner.

This book was basically the perfect book to get into the holiday spirit.  Haley, who isn't real big on Christmas, attends a Christmas camp at a picturesque inn, and it was so fun to watch her open up and enjoy herself, despite her insistence that she just wants to complete the camp tasks and get back to work.  Everything you could love about Christmas is here - decorating the tree, making cookies, sledding - but it's really nice that the whole purpose of the camp is about connecting with loved ones and creating memories and traditions.  The cast of characters is so sweet and lovable - I think if I had read this at any other time of year, it would have felt too saccharine, but I didn't mind it here.  One standout character was Ben, the owner of the inn, who always seems to have a magical twinkle in his eye, and my heart just felt for Gail, whose son is a deployed soldier.  There is a romance that develops (actually maybe more than one?!), but it doesn't take over the story.  It fits in really well and feels natural. 4 stars


25 Days 'Til Christmas by Poppy Alexander (2019)

Kate and her son Jack have had a difficult life since Kate's husband, a soldier, died, but she is determined to make this Christmas their best one ever.

I was expecting a sweet holiday romance and a feel-good story, but this book was actually really heavy.  Kate has just been scraping by since losing her husband, but she's tired of that and wants to put together the perfect Christmas for Jack, one that will hopefully kick-start a new life for them both.  I liked the idea of Kate using the advent calendar to plan fun activities and give Jack something to look forward to - and especially show that you don't necessarily have to spend money to have a good time.  I was also rooting for Kate and Daniel, who has also experienced loss, to find love because I could see how good they could be together.

However, there was just too much going on in this story, so many storylines, that it felt unfocused at times.  This book wasn't even that long, but I kept forgetting about some of the threads.  Almost everything bad that could happen to a person all seemed to pile on Kate, and it was a bit unrealistic.  For a Christmas book, it was oddly depressing.  The writing, and especially the dialogue, felt stiff and stilted at times.  3 stars

18 comments:

  1. Oh jeez 25 Days Til Christmas sounds a little bit like a bummer. Christmas Camp sounds pretty fun though!! I will have to remember it for next year! (I probably need a Christmas TBR)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas Camp was very fun and totally put me in the holiday spirit!

      Delete
  2. I picked up Christmas Camp the other day when it was on sale for Kindle - I can't wait to get to it now! I have never really read anything specific to holiday time, so I think this will be a good one to start with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be, too! It's perfect for the season.

      Delete
  3. Christmas Camp sounds like a really good one! Not to sure about 25 Days til Christmas, I think the multiple story lines would bother me a little too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just so much going on, and got oddly specific about things.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like I really need to read Christmas Camp!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christmas Camp sounds like all kinds of cute, Christmassy goodness! 25 Days Til Christmas... maybe not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm, I had my eye on 25 Days til Christmas, so, I am sad to see that it was a depressing holiday book (who does that?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it was not what I was expecting. But, it does have pretty good reviews on Goodreads, so maybe it was just me?

      Delete
  7. You seem to have a better luck with Christmas reads than I did. The last book sounds sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which ones did you end up reading this year? I did have really good luck with Christmas Camp and Christmas Shopaholic.

      Delete
  8. I am new to these "Christmas-y" novels, but I'm glad I gave them a try this year. I will have to add Christmas Camp to my list! I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is gorgeous! Last year I read one or two holiday books and this year I really wanted to make a it a point to read some more.

      Delete
  9. That's a shame about the second book. That cover just screams light and fluffy holiday read to me so that's disappointing to hear that it's such a downer. Christmas Camp sounds great though. I didn't do any holiday reads this year but will have to keep that one in mind for next Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that, for me, the cover of 25 Days did not match the story at all. The cover was what initially drew me in.

      Delete

I'm so glad you stopped by, and I would love to hear your thoughts! Comments are always greatly appreciated!