Monday, December 30, 2019

2019 Reading & Blogging Goals Wrap-Up


Every year I say this, but it's still true - this year just flew by!  I read more books than I ever thought possible and had a great reading year - here's some stats and highlights:

  • I read 191 books this year! (At the time I'm writing this post - I will probably finish one more!)
  • 59 of those were 2019 releases.
  •  I listened to 26 audiobooks for a total of 294 hours.
  • My average rating this year was 3.8.
  • I read my first ebook and also started using the Libby app to borrow ebooks and audiobooks from my library.

And how did I do on my goals?
  1. Keep track of where I'm finding books. I think I did a pretty good job of doing shoutouts, either in a review or a monthly recap, when I read a book that I've added because of someone else.
  2. Participate in at least two challenges.  I participated in three challenges, recapped below!
  3. Read at least 12 nonfiction books.  I ended up reading 27 nonfiction books during the year - pass!
  4. Bring back my "Try It, You Might Like It" feature.  I did two Try It posts this year, so not a ton, but I have an idea for at least one more in the coming months.
  5. Host a giveaway.  I did it!  I celebrated my blog's third blogoversary by hosting a giveaway.  Thanks, everyone, for your tips and advice when I first announced this goal.
  6. Read the unread physical books on my shelves. I definitely read a lot of the unread books from my shelves, but I also acquired/borrowed a lot of books this year, so this is a goal that will always be ongoing!
  7. Reorganize my book shelves. I was able to purge 70 books from my shelves and reorganize a little.  However, #bookstagram really did a number on my shelves!  Pulling books for pictures, rearranging to take some snaps - they are a mess right now.  So, kinda pass-ish? 
As for the challenges I participated in...


For Beat the Backlist, hosted by Austine at NovelKnight, I chose 24 backlist books and I ended up reading 19 of those (and DNFing one).  However, I read a total of 118 backlist books during the year (over 60% of my reading total), so I don't feel too bad about not finishing my initial TBR!


The 2019 Retellings Reading Challenge was hosted by Tracy at Cornerfolds.  I read 8 of the 9 books I originally chose, and 18 retellings in all.  I loved this challenge and have so many more retellings I'd like to get to for next year's!  Here's my final BINGO board:



The last challenge I did was the Royal Reading Challenge hosted by Adriana at She's Got Books on Her Mind.  I read 9 of the 10 books I originally chose and ended up reading 14 royal-related books in all.

How did you do on your 2019 reading goals?
 

39 comments:

  1. I actually only participate in the Goodreads Reading Challenge. I challenged myself to read 75 books and made it to 80 :)!

    I hope 2020 brings you nothing but good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Esther! That's awesome that you beat your goal!

      Delete
  2. 191 books is awesome, well done. Bookstagram photos always leave my shelves a mess too, haha!

    Anika | chaptersofmay.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word you read 191 books?! That is incredible. Seriously, how?! I just managed a measly 83, haha ;)

    All the best for 2020!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! Haha, a lot of audiobooks and reading during my lunchbreak really helped!

      Delete
  4. Wow, 191 books? That's amazing! I didn't do all that well with my initial backlist TBR either but did read 36 backlist books that were sitting on my shelves so I definitely want to do that challenge again in 2020. And I hear you on Bookstagram leaving your shelves a mess. I'm right there with you, haha. Happy New Year, Angela!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, a high percentage of what I read is backlist, so I wasn't worried about not doing well on that challenge!

      Happy New Year, Suzanne!

      Delete
  5. Wow what a great job on all of your goals!! And an amazing number of books too! I do such an awful job of remembering where I get books from - I should try to keep track.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, congrats on reading 191 books and hitting your goals! I wish I could read that much. I think I’m the slowest reader ever.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aj! I think I read too fast, I don't retain much of what I read, unfortunately! Writing reviews helps, though!

      Delete
  7. I didn't blog much in 2019 so I didn't do any challenges. But for 2020 I have 3 challenges so far that I joined and hope to complete. They're all fun in different ways. Good job on your goals! But oh, one more book to say Bingo! Oh well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cleo! I know, I only got Bingo the one way, just a couple more books and I would have had more!

      Good luck on your 2020 challenges!

      Delete
  8. You did great with your goals! And 191 books... wow! You either have a lot of time to read or you’re a very fast reader! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did great on all your goals and especially reading 191 books this year! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I'm so impressed with all you accomplished this year. 191 books! I just finished my year-end wrap up and it's not nearly as stellar. Can you believe I've actually never done a challenge? It's crazy, but i just don't want the added pressure. Maybe someday? Have a wonderful New Year, Angela.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie! Haha, I'm sure your year in reading was fantastic!

      I try to pick challenges that are low-stress and won't add too many books to my TBR!

      Delete
  11. You did great! And I love that you read so many backlisted books!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Im intrigued by that Try It You Might Like It topic idea. Sounds a great way to nudge you to read outside the comfort zone

    ReplyDelete
  13. 191 books is so great! I want to read more backlist books and listen to more audiobooks in 2020.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats!! You had a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You did amazing with your goals, and looking at you filling up that retelling board. I know I wouldn't be able to tick that many boxes. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks, Sam! The Bingo board for next year looks significantly harder!

      Delete
  16. Good for you! Sounds like you met and surpassed plenty of goals. Bravo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome goals! I love this one: Keep track of where I'm finding books. That's something I need to keep better track of too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love when people read a book because I recommended it, and I figured other people would feel the same way!

      Delete
  18. Wow, well done on all of your goals, Angela and I am amazed by how much you've read last year, WOW! This is incredible. I wish you all the best for your 2020 goals! <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. The amount of books you read in 2019 is so impressive! I'm hoping to read 100 for the first time in 2020! Any tips for increasing reading?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Multitasking is so helpful! If you're into audiobooks, that really upped my total - listening during my commute or while I'm doing chores on the weekend!

      Delete
  20. Wow, you read so many books this year! It sounds like you did a fantastic job clearing your shelves too. And yay for lots of nonfiction reading - awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a really good year for nonfiction!

      Delete

I'm so glad you stopped by, and I would love to hear your thoughts! Comments are always greatly appreciated!