Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Six Mile Run

We took advantage of a break in the heat one Sunday morning to check out Six Mile Run in Franklin Township, Somerset County, New Jersey.  There are three parking areas for the park, which is part of the D&R Canal State Park, and we started at the Canal Road lot.


For a trail map, click here.

Our original goal was to hike to the parking lot at the eastern end of the trail, on Route 27, and then come back.  We started on the Blue Trail, and I immediately loved it.  It moved from forest to wide open fields and back, and it was just so peaceful and lovely.  The trail was very winding, almost curling back on itself several times.  This area is also really popular with mountain bikers, and there were quite a few of them on the trail that day.





However, after being on the trail for a really long time and still not coming to the intersection with the Red Trail, our plan changed.  I feel like either the map wasn't super accurate or I had completely misjudged the length of the hike.  

When we finally reached the fork in the trail, we met up with some bikers we had come across a couple times.  They told us if we made a sharp right turn on the Red Trail, it would take us almost straight back to the parking lot, in half the time it took us on the Blue Trail.  This isn't marked on the map, so I'm glad they confirmed it for us.  And since we had been out there for almost 2 hours already, we took that option! 

The Red Trail was so scenic, overlooking the creek.  Although it had a couple big dips (very popular with the bikers), it wasn't a hard trail at all.



Overall, our hike was almost 6 miles, and we barely covered half the park.  I would love to go back someday and start at the other end, to see the rest of the area.

20 comments:

  1. OH wow, this is such a gorgeous hike! Your second picture almost looks like the way to somewhere magical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that picture - I keep thinking it's a swirling vortex to another world!

      Delete
  2. It looks like a fun hike! I wanted to go hiking last weekend, but we have people staying with us, and they’re not the hiking kind of people.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really beautiful! Six miles is a lot, but you got some great scenery. I love to walk these days. I didn't before, but now I do. It makes me so happy and serene. Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kay! We love to take walks. My husband has been getting up really early on the weekends and walking around our neighborhood and nearby downtown, when it's really quiet outside. I might go next time!

      Delete
  4. Wow, how beautiful! I've definitely been in the situation where the hike length was quite as describe.. or it didn't include the roundtrip length, haha. Nice to have some brief respite from the heat and enjoy the outdoors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jordan! We finally got some nice weather that day, had to take advantage of it!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a lovely hike! Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! This is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This does look like a lovely, peaceful spot to hike in. It makes me want to go on a hike myself. I haven't been on one in ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't been on too many, either! This weather has just made it very difficult.

      Delete
  8. Oh wow, this place looks gorgeous! I'm glad you had a good hike, even if you did have to change routes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. IDK, how I missed this post this week. I adore these photos. I love Jersey. As I am a Jersey Girl living in PA. =)

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous place to visit! I love it when you can unwind and enjoy amazing scenery like this. I am so envious!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by, and I would love to hear your thoughts! Comments are always greatly appreciated!