Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Books Set Outside the United States

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  This week's topic is books set outside the United States; this was a hard list for me to narrow down, because a lot of the books I read take place in other countries, particularly England!  Here are just some of my favorites:

  1. Sleeping Arrangements (Madeleine Wickham):  A story about two families staying in the same vacation home in Spain.
  2. The Secret Keeper (Kate Morton):  A woman tries to make sense of her mother's mysterious past in this novel set in England.
  3. The Pillars of the Earth (Ken Follett):  An epic read about the construction of a cathedral in  England during the Middle Ages.
  4. Outlander (Diana Gabaldon):  An English woman time travels to Scotland circa 1743.
  5. The Nightingale (Kristin Hannah):  A story about two sisters and their struggles to survive in France during WWII.
  6. Me Before You (JoJo Moyes):  Sweet and heartbreaking story about a woman caring for a disabled man, set in England.
  7. Into Thin Air (Jon Krakauer):  Thrilling true story about the 1996 disaster on Mt. Everest.
  8. The Husband's Secret (Liane Moriarty):  A woman finds out a devastating secret about her husband in this story set in Australia.
  9. A Fatal Grace (Louise Penny): A murder mystery set in Quebec, Canada.
  10. The Boticelli Secret (Marina Fiorato):  A woman finds herself in danger after posing for Boticelli's "Primavera" painting, in this story set in 15th-century Italy. 

14 comments:

  1. The Nightingale was on my list this week too :) I also really loved The Pillars of the Earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pillars of the Earth was assigned reading for one of my college courses, and I just fell in love with it!

      Delete
  2. I've heard a lot about The Nightingale. Thanks for sharing your list!

    http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2016/07/ten-great-books-set-in-paris.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't heard of most of these books, but I will be checking them out. I would love to start reading more books that are set outside of the US, and this really helps. Thanks! :D
    My Top Ten Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I hope you enjoy! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Into Thin Air was one of my favorite books from high school. :)

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty incredible! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I feel like you don't hear much about stories set in Canada, so A Fatal Grace sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good! Kind of like a throw-back to an Agatha Christie novel. It's actually the first in a series that all take place in Canada.

      Delete
  6. Great list! I had Outlander on my list too :) I wish I'd thought of Pillars of the Earth as well because I really enjoyed reading that book. It's a massive book but it didn't feel too long at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a great book! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Oh, I forgot about The Husband's Secret. I should have put that one on my list! I loved Outlander and Me Before You. Great list! Thanks for visiting my TTT. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by, and I would love to hear your thoughts! Comments are always greatly appreciated!