Monday, May 1, 2017

Why Book Blogging is a Good Fit For Shy People


I'm a shy person and have been my whole life - I was that kid who never spoke up in class unless my grade depended on it; I am forever on the outside of a group; and making small talk terrifies me.  I don't like to draw attention to myself because of what other people might think of me, and I often feel uncomfortable and awkward at parties.  So when I thought about maybe starting a book blog, I really went back and forth on it for a long time.  Why did I want to do it?  Could I really put myself and my thoughts out there for people to read and even judge?  But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that blogging (and book blogging in particular) is actually a pretty good hobby for a shy person.

Choose your own level of involvement
Like with any hobby, you can choose how much time you want to spend on it and how involved you want to get.  If posting a review or some recommendations once a week is what you want to do, then go for it!  If you're worried about comments or interacting with readers on your blog, you could disable or moderate comments.  And if keeping up with all the different forms of social media is overwhelming, just stick to the ones you feel comfortable with.

Be anonymous - or not
A book blog is perfect for someone who wants to share one aspect of their life without getting too personal.  If you're worried about talking about yourself, don't be. Yes, lots of bloggers share things about their personal lives, but that's a choice that you can make.  If you want to just talk about books, then only talk about books!  It's up to you what to share with your readers.  There is room for everyone and all types of blogs. 

Time to gather your thoughts
The biggest problem I have when I'm in a group of people is thinking of something to say - by the time I've thought of a witty remark, they've moved on to the next topic.  But while blogging, I can spend as much time as I want on each post, deciding what I want to say and how to say it.

Connect with others who share your interests
One of the best things for me is finding a common interest with someone (whether it's books or Real Housewives) and once we start talking, I find I have a lot to say!  By starting your own book blog, you're joining a whole community of enthusiastic readers who can't wait to share some booktalk with you.  Reading is often a solitary activity, but it really enhances the experience when you can discuss what you love or don't love about certain books or share recommendations for new reads.

Take steps towards becoming more outgoing
I've surprised myself at how much I've come out of my shell while blogging for the past year.  At first, I thought the blog would mostly just be for me to put down my thoughts about books and hiking (it was simultaneously scary and nice to think that other people might read it, too).  As people started visiting and even commenting, it helped boost my confidence and made me want to interact more with other bloggers.  It was hard at first, but I think I'm getting better at it every day.  I have a feeling there are a lot of bloggers out there who consider themselves shy in their real life, but are totally outgoing when it comes to blogging and books.

Do you consider yourself shy or outgoing?  If you're shy IRL, do you find that blogging helps you?

27 comments:

  1. I don’t know if I’m shy, but I’m definitely not outgoing. I like blogging because I’m in control. I choose what I tell people, and if I get overwhelmed or annoyed, I can just turn off the computer. I’ve made so many friends through blogging. It’s been awesome.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I definitely like being able to make all the decisions and be in control. So many of the bloggers I've come across have been so friendly - it's such a great community!

      Delete
  2. Great post and one that I can completely relate to. I've been awkwardly shy and introverted all my life, and so I love that my blog has really given me an outlet that's right in my comfort zone. I love being able to use books, which is a topic I'm pretty comfortable talking about, as a jumping off point to get to know my fellow bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, that's the perfect way to put it! It's so much easier to talk about something that I know a lot about, and as I can get more comfortable, I can start branching off of that.

      Delete
  3. I wouldn't say I'm shy, but I am an introvert, and I've found that blogging is great just for introverts in general because we get to choose exactly when and how much we socialize. If I'm introverting hard one day and need my me-time, I don't have to respond to comments or comment on other blogs. I don't get stuck in the middle of hanging out with someone suddenly feeling exhausted because I can stop interacting whenever I want. I also am so much better at expressing myself with written words and so I also like that I can take the time to decide how to respond to things. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I get nervous even around small groups of people that I know, so I find it much easier to converse online. I also definitely like having time to compose my thoughts.

      Delete
  4. I'm definitely a shy introvert and I'm terrible with real life conversations. I enjoy blogging though because I don't exactly face people when I talk/write/type and I talk at my own pace. I can completely relate to you at coming up with a witty remark when people have moved on with the conversation. hahaha. Great post, Angela!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Haha, I am the worst at small talk!

      Delete
  5. Yes, yes, yes! I highly relate and agree with this post! I'm a super shy person myself, and I have found as well that blogging is a perfect fit for that, for all the reasons you mentioned! I love how I get to choose how involved I am and how much time I spend on it (if I don't feel like it one day, I can easily take a day off from commenting and get back on track the day after), how I can connect with people through a shared interest and how I can take my time to express myself through written words (which work way better for me anyway) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've definitely become more outgoing in the blogging world, now I need to translate that to the real world!

      Delete
  6. Amazing post and definitely something to think about. I'm actually the opposite though..i'm extremely extroverted! According to 16personalities.com I'm an ENFJ-T with 97% extroverted! Blogging helps me because I ALWAYS wanna talk about things and I'm a huge chatterbox. blogging is a wonderful outlet to express my views and feel at home!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogging is great for everyone! It gives extroverts even more opportunities to talk to people, and it gives introverts and shy people a place to express themselves in ways that are comfortable for them!

      Delete
  7. Great Post!! I wouldn't say that I'm shy-- but I'm definitely awkward sometimes. And I totally know that feeling of NOT thinking of the thing I should have said until too late. You're so right that blogging helps with that. I like that I can share who I am and what I think with all you lovely book people. That's my fave part of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I always want to participate in a conversation, but I just don't know what to say. You're right, I love just being able to be myself on the blog!

      Delete
  8. YES to all of these. I'm not so much shy as I am super awkward. lol! I've been a stay at home mom for over 4 years now and before that I was really social. Now that I've become used to staying at home, I get a little bit of social anxiety when we go out and I feel like I act like a total spaz. lol. Blogging is sort of my outlet to continue to be social without being super anxious about it....and I can be social online while still wearing my sweats so that's definitely a plus! haha! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely love not having to look cute AND be social at the same time! I always feel like that weird person who's just hanging out on the fringe of a group, but with blogging, I don't feel that way. I can just come in, make my comment, and be on my way!

      Delete
  9. YES. I'm a shy person and I got involved in this community because of that. I feel like it's actually helped me IRL. I'm still pretty shy and introverted, but I'm a bit more open when talking about my interests. Blogging, or even just the online book community, is perfect for shy people! Love this post :)

    Molly @ Molly's Book Nook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm still waiting for it to cross over into my real life, but you're right, I always feel more comfortable when I'm talking about something I'm really interested in and know a lot about.

      Delete
  10. I totally agree with you. I've been shy, reserved, quite, and anything of those other words people like to call those who don't talk all my life as well. Sometimes it's really frustrating because I want to be outgoing, and converse with others. I always told myself every year when I was in school that the next year I would change, but it never happened. I'm just not someone who likes to talk BS (thats what my husband calls just talking to talk) I can't make small talk unless it's about something I like or know so finding the book community and my blog is a dream come true really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way - I wish I wasn't so nervous and quiet around people, especially family members. I find that I'm a lot different on the blog and when I'm commenting on other blogs.

      Delete
  11. Love this post! I'm. Not shy, but I'm also not outgoing. I do make friends easily and try to fit in at new places, yet sometimes I stick to the sidelines. So I'm not sure where I fit in, but I agree with so many of your points. Blogging allows you to work at your own speed, your own comfort level and to interact how you see fit. It's a great hobby or outlet for shy or introverted people. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think the comfort level is a big thing. Shy people can get nervous around groups of people, so being able to have the interaction on your own terms is important. I think it helps us open up so much more.

      Delete
  12. Love this post! I'm. Not shy, but I'm also not outgoing. I do make friends easily and try to fit in at new places, yet sometimes I stick to the sidelines. So I'm not sure where I fit in, but I agree with so many of your points. Blogging allows you to work at your own speed, your own comfort level and to interact how you see fit. It's a great hobby or outlet for shy or introverted people. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  13. Somehow I missed this post. :) I'm definitely an introvert and don't enjoy small talk just for small talk's sake (especially if it's a gathering of people I don't know- if it's family or friends it's fine) but I do find blogging to be a great activity for introverts. Agree w/ everythig you said. And I also had no idea how awesome the book blog community was- I can't imagine not talking books now with people online! A few years ago I had no idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I find book bloggers on the whole to be so friendly and encouraging! I really feel like I belong here!

      Delete
  14. I love this post, it has so many good points! I've been working on becoming a little more outgoing, and I'm not sure if it's just correlation, but since I've started my blog I've definitely broken out of my box a little bit. Not only that, but I've made friends that I definitely wouldn't have otherwise.

    Fleur @ Fleur Henley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel the same way, like I've been so much more open since I started blogging, at least on the internet! I'm not as afraid to tell people what I think!

      Delete

I'm so glad you stopped by, and I would love to hear your thoughts! Comments are always greatly appreciated!