Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by Jana at That Artsy Reader Girl. This week's topic is bookish pet peeves. I think I've done this topic before, so this will be a mix of old pet peeves with some new ones!
- Synopses that don't give an accurate description of the book: I
hate when I start reading a book, thinking it's about one thing, and I
get something completely different. This seems to be happening a lot lately with the romances I'm reading - I think it's going to be light/fluffy/funny, and it's anything but!
- Long paragraphs/chapters: If a paragraph is too long, I'm likely going to skim it. I like details, but breaking it up with some
dialogue or into smaller paragraphs is just easier to read. Also, it's a
quirk, but I usually look ahead to see how long a chapter is before I
start it. I don't like stopping in the middle, so long chapters are kind of a bummer.
- People who are not careful with their books: I try to keep my books
in good condition, so it irks me when I lend a book to someone and I
get it back with folded pages, ripped covers, or broken spines, or I don't get it back at all and have to buy a new one!
- Quick or convenient endings: Some books have so much going on and then, all of a sudden, they just end. If I've invested all this time in a book, I want a satisfying ending! Not one that ties up all the plot lines in a page or two, in ways that make it seem like the author was taking the easy way out, ran out of ideas, or hit their page limit.
- Perfect characters: Perfect people don't exist - when a character is beautiful/handsome, and smart, and successful, and kind, etc., it just makes me want to roll my eyes.
- Ugly book covers: I'm gonna be honest, I totally judge books by their covers, so if the cover is too garish, inappropriate, or cheap-looking, I probably won't even take the time to see what the book is about.
- Starred reviews on Goodreads before a book is even released: I'm not talking about people who have ARCs and review the book early, but those people who rate a book before they've even read it, or when the cover or blurb comes out. It's okay to say you're excited, but giving a 5-star review for a book you haven't even seen yet is so misleading! And don't get me started on people who leave 1-star reviews just because they don't like the blurb or have some issue with the author.
- Unrealistic dialogue: Sometimes characters give long monologues or just way too much detail in their dialogue, and I don't think people talk that way in real life!
- Overused phrases: There are just some phrases that so many authors seem to use - "fiercely independent" is one that comes to mind. Another is "massive curls" to describe someone's hair - I feel like I don't know THAT many people with curly hair, yet they seem to pop up in every book I read, and it's always described the same way.
- Poorly edited books: OMG, typos! I can't stand typos, and if a character's name is spelled two different ways on the same page, that's a big problem. Let's be real, I make mistakes all the time in my posts, but this is not a published book that someone will spend money on!
Now that I've gotten all my crankiness out, what are some of your pet peeves?