Friday, August 13, 2021

Romance Quick Reviews

Ever After Always by Chloe Liese (2021)
 
Freya and Aiden, married for almost 10 years, have decided to start a family, but Aiden is struggling and doesn't want to tell Freya.  With the help of her family and a tropical vacation, can they put their marriage back together?  This is the third book in the Bergman Brothers series and probably my favorite so far.  The idea of working to save a marriage and dealing with the anxiety of starting a family really resonated with me.  I enjoyed both Freya and Aiden's POVs - Aiden's anxiety about being financially secure and Freya's feelings that her husband is drifting away and not communicating.  I loved the way the Bergman clan has totally embraced Aiden as one of their own, although I was kind of getting "Bromance Book Club" vibes for awhile.  Like the previous books, Liese weaves in mental health issues, and here it felt the most natural.  Overall, a good mix of drama, steamy scenes, and family hijinks.  4 stars

Manor For Sale, Baron Included by Esther Hatch (2021)

Faced with a series of estates that are quickly losing money, Lord Farnsworth has to do what he never wanted - sell his late mother's home.  But when he finds out the beautiful and intelligent Sally Duncan wants to buy it, he hatches a scheme to sell it to her, then court her, thus getting his home back.  Sally, however, has other plans.  I absolutely loved this charming Victorian rom-com!  The book starts out rather lighthearted, and I loved Farnsworth's awkward courting attempts and Sally's refusal to be won over.  For a quick read, there was surprisingly a lot of depth later in the book, as we learn more about Sally and Farnsworth's backgrounds - his unhappy childhood and her desire to help her sister.  The writing is so well done and the secondary characters add humor and heart.  And of course there's a happily ever after, but I liked that it took an unexpected route to get there!  4.5 stars

16 comments:

  1. I need to start reading Chloe Liese's book. They always sound good and like stories that I would really get into. I recently downloaded the first book in this series so hopefully I'll actually make some time for it. Manor for Sale sounds wonderful too. I love it when a book has great secondary characters. It just adds so much to the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason I thought you had already read Chloe Liese! I think you will love her books!

      Delete
  2. I love seeing more romances with married couples. Marriage is usually the endgame in a lot of romances, so it's interesting to see beyond that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! The story doesn't end with the proposal or wedding.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read either of these but they both sound really good! I'm glad you enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy to see you call Ever After Always as your favorite in the series. It's on my TBR this month and I'm excited for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard so many great things about the Bergman Brothers series. I am going to have to bump it up on my list. I'm so glad that both of these books were hits for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope you love the Bergman Brothers!

      Delete
  6. Manor for Sale, Baron Included sounds like such a super fun read!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by, and I would love to hear your thoughts! Comments are always greatly appreciated!