Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Can't-Wait Wednesday: The Death of Jane Lawrence

Can't-Wait Wednesday is hosted by Tressa at Wishful Endings and helps us spotlight upcoming releases we're eagerly anticipating!
 
Caitlin Starling
Expected publication date: October 19, 2021
Practical, unassuming Jane Shoringfield has done the calculations, and decided that the most secure path forward is this: a husband, in a marriage of convenience, who will allow her to remain independent and occupied with meaningful work. Her first choice, the dashing but reclusive doctor Augustine Lawrence, agrees to her proposal with only one condition: that she must never visit Lindridge Hall, his crumbling family manor outside of town. Yet on their wedding night, an accident strands her at his door in a pitch-black rainstorm, and she finds him changed. Gone is the bold, courageous surgeon, and in his place is a terrified, paranoid man—one who cannot tell reality from nightmare, and fears Jane is an apparition, come to haunt him.

By morning, Augustine is himself again, but Jane knows something is deeply wrong at Lindridge Hall, and with the man she has so hastily bound her safety to. Set in a dark-mirror version of post-war England, Starling crafts a new kind of gothic horror from the bones of the beloved canon. This Crimson Peak-inspired story assembles, then upends, every expectation set in place by Shirley Jackson and Rebecca, and will leave readers shaken, desperate to begin again as soon as they are finished. - from Goodreads

How perfect does this sound for fall?

28 comments:

  1. "a dark-mirror version of post-war England" Now that sounds intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! This sounds perfect for the fall and Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds pretty creepy to me, though I must say, Jane sounds like someone after my own heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does sound like a pretty cool character!

      Delete
  4. I am so excited for this one! I was fortunate enough to receive an ARC from NetGalley for it a while ago, but I've been saving it because it's too perfect for fall. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jordan! Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

      Delete
  5. This is on my list as well, I think I featured it last week or the week before. I love gothic fiction

    Here is my link:
    https://twogirlsandtheirbookishlife.blogspot.com/2021/08/cant-wait-wednesday-matzah-ball-by-jean.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds so creepy. Definitely a great choice for fall/spooky season. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds wild... perfect choice for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my goodness, this is ridiculously spooky!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This does sound like a perfect fall read! I hope that you love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm super excited for this one too! It's one of my most-anticipated releases of the year. I hope it lives up to the awesome synopsis.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, this sounds super eerie! Definitely perfect for fall.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by, and I would love to hear your thoughts! Comments are always greatly appreciated!