Monday, March 22, 2021

Down The TBR Hole #21


Down the TBR Hole is a feature created by Lost in a Story (although the blog seems to be down).  I've seen it on a few other blogs and thought I would try it out myself!  It seems like a really good way to cull your TBR of those books you're no longer interested in.  So, how does it work?

  • Go to your Goodreads to-read shelf.
  • Order on ascending date added.
  • Take the first 5 (or 10 (or even more!) if youre feeling adventurous) books. Of course, if you do this weekly, you start where you left off the last time.
  • Read the synopses of the books
  • Decide: keep it or should it go?
Here are the books I'm looking at this time:
 
The Other People by C.J. Tudor
 
After his daughter disappears, a man never gives up hope finding her, leading him to a group called The Other People.  I'm just not super into this - pass!

The Poison Garden by Alex Marwood
 
A young woman raised in a cult finally escapes, but now she's alone, expecting a baby, and doesn't know who to trust.  This one isn't grabbing me, either - pass!

The Camera Never Lies by David Rawlings
 
Daniel is a successful marriage counselor and author, but behind the scenes, his own marriage is falling apart and his daughter is drifting away.  He inherits a camera, but the pictures come out strange, and he finds himself having to choose between keeping his secrets or saving his family.  This sounds kind of intriguing, but the reviews seem mixed - pass!

Tsarina by Ellen Alpsten
 
After the death of Peter the Great of Russia, his wife Catherine assumes power.  This historical fiction novels tells the story of her life from her humble beginnings to her rise to power.  Love the sound of this - keep!

The Night Swim by Megan Goldin
 
The host of a true crime podcast investigates in a small-town rape trial, and the mystery of what really happened to her sister 25 years ago re-emerges.  This sounds really good - keep!

The Paragon Hotel by Lyndsay Faye
 
It's 1921 and after fleeing Harlem, Alice finds refuge in the Paragon Hotel in Portland.  However, racial tensions are taking over the city.  I'm just not really interested in this one anymore - pass!

The Last Day by Andrew Hunter Murray

In a dystopian near-future, the Earth has stopped rotating, leaving half the world in cold darkness and the other in blinding sunlight.  Nations fight for survival while a lone scientist comes across a secret that threatens all of humanity.  I can't resist an "end of the world" type novel - keep!




Have you read any of these?
 

20 comments:

  1. Tsarina by Ellen Alpsten is still one I want to read too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how much we both love historical fiction!

      Delete
  2. I feel like The Night Swim is one I've seen some really good reviews for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen any reviews, so I'm glad you passed this along!

      Delete
  3. The Night Swim does sound really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read The Night Swim and really enjoyed that one. I've read the C.J. Tudor as well and rated it 4 stars at the time but I honestly can't remember a single detail about it now so apparently it's pretty forgettable (at least for me anyway) lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Night Swim is one I've been really interested in too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alas, I have read none of these, but I am not surprised you kept the historical fiction book

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read any of these, but The Night Swim sounds intriguing, and I love the cover :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel the need to clear some books off of my tbr just by reading this post! How cleansing!! I think that The Night Swim sounds like a keeper, too. I hope that you enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, nice! It really can be so satisfying!

      Delete
  9. Tsarina is the only one I've read, and I enjoyed it! The Last Day sounds really good, also. I have an old ARC of The Night Swim that I need to get around to as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the first time I saw Tsarina by Ellen Alpsten and now I'm adding it to my tbr just because of that title because it's too close to my name, Czarina.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by, and I would love to hear your thoughts! Comments are always greatly appreciated!