Monday, August 19, 2019

Down The TBR Hole #4


Down the TBR Hole is a feature created by Lost in a Story (although the blog seems to be down recently).  I've seen it on a few other blogs and thought I would try it out myself!  It seems like a really good way to cull your TBR of those books you're no longer interested in.  So how does it work?

  • Go to your Goodreads to-read shelf.
  • Order on ascending date added.
  • Take the first 5 (or 10 (or even more!) if youre feeling adventurous) books. Of course, if you do this weekly, you start where you left off the last time.
  • Read the synopses of the books
  • Decide: keep it or should it go?

Here are the books I'm looking at this time:

The Mother-in-Law by Sally Hepworth

I absolutely loved my first Sally Hepworth book.  The second, not so much, and I skipped her last book.  Although I've seen good reviews for this story about the complicated relationship between a woman and her daughter-in-law, I'm just not really interested any more.  Pass!




 Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center

I recently featured this book about a female firefighter during Can't-Wait Wednesday, so I'm definitely keeping this one!
 Forget You Know Me by Jessica Strawser

When I read Strawser's first book, I was a bit disappointed because it had been marketed as a thriller when it clearly wasn't.  This story is about friendship and what happens when people grow apart.  I've seen reviews that indicate that it also has been mis-marketed, and so I'm not really interested in being burned again.  Pass!
 If, Then by Kate Hope Day

This book about the residents of a small town having visions of an alternate reality intrigued me when I first heard about it, and I'm still interested in it, although I haven't seen many reviews for it.  Keeping this one!
The Lost Man by Jane Harper

I read the first book in Jane Harper's Aaron Falk series and really enjoyed it.  I meant to keep up with her books, but just haven't had time.  This is a stand-alone book about a man's death and the brothers he left behind.  Keeping this one!








Have you read any of these?

26 comments:

  1. I have been seeing some phenomenal reviews for Things You Save in a Fire. Everyone seems to be raving about it. I'm really looking forward to picking it up soon.

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this feature! Sometimes I go through my TBR list on GR, which are books I want but don't have, and say what was I thinking, or what the heck is this one about? I want to read Things You Save in a Fire, enjoyed another book by her. If, Then sounds like a fun read I'd never heard of.

    I read the Strawser books, this one and one before. They aren't thrillers, they're more like character studies when bad things happen to good people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree with that assessment about Strawser's books!

      Delete
  3. I haven't read any of these but I've always heard great things about Jane Harper. I should really do this feauture sometime. I would be great to shorten my TBR a little. Since I can't check Lost in a Story's blog. Is it something that has to be hold on a monday? ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, I think it can be whenever you want! Mine just always happen to fall on Mondays, haha!

      Delete
  4. I've read three. The Mother-in-Law I actually listened to and liked it pretty well. Things You Save in a Fire was a little disappointing to me. Sort of sappy and I felt like she built a character and then had her change in ways that just didn't fit. I've also read If, Then and liked it very much, but I know it's got mixed reviews. Have fun picking what to read next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Things to Save in a Fire is so good. I am curious about Forget You Know Me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really only heard good things about Things You Save in a Fire!

      Delete
  6. Yes, good decision on Jane Harper - all of her books have been 5 star reads for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to make time for them, I'm falling behind!

      Delete
  7. Yay, glad you're keeping Things You Save in a Fire. I still can't get over how much I truly enjoyed that one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My heart almost stopped when I saw Things You Save in a Fire on this list. That book blew me away. I was so captivated by the entire story. It had it all for me, and oh! The tears I cried. So worth it. I hope you read and like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like a good alt reality story so that one looks interesting. And the Mother-in-Law I remember looking at thinking it was maybe a thriller, but I don't remember now if it was or not lol. I guess it kind of is, looking at Goodreads...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love alternate realities, too!

      Yeah, I wasn't sure what to make of The Mother-in-Law!

      Delete
  10. I haven't tried any of these, but I know that my co-blogger did enjoy The Mother-in-Law. This is a great feature and it has given me the itch to cull my TBR as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really working out well for the books I have on Goodreads, sometimes I forget they're there!

      Delete
  11. Forget You Know Me was definitely not what I expected. It was just an ok read for me. I don't blame you for passing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wasn’t fond of the book I read by Hepworth. I have What You Save in a Fire to listen to in the next week, I am looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job getting rid of a couple this week! I haven't read any of these but The Lost Man really does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by, and I would love to hear your thoughts! Comments are always greatly appreciated!