Thursday, September 10, 2026

Recent Reads

The Chateau on Sunset by Natasha Lester (2026)

After her parents are killed in a tragic accident, Aria Jones is sent to California to live with her aunt, at the iconic Chateau Marmont.  She grows up in the hotel, learning all sorts of secrets and meeting all kinds of people.  When Theo Winchester buys the hotel, Aria finds herself falling in love with the rock star - but will she get her happily ever after?  I was interested in this book because it's a Jane Eyre retelling and that's one of my favorite books.  There are enough callbacks to the original to make the comparison, yet Lester also brings a fresh, new story.  I have to admit, I struggled a bit in the beginning with this book.  The story moves back and forth between the present day and flashbacks to Aria's early years at the Chateau.  The writing, however, wasn't always super clear and I honestly couldn't tell what was real and what wasn't at times.  When we get to the part of the story where Aria/Jane runs away from her wedding, due to discovering a big secret about her fiancĂ©, I finally felt like the story came alive.  After years of never leaving the Chateau, Aria makes a big move, and I appreciated her courage to finally make changes in her life and also help those around her.  3.5 stars

The Perfect Hosts by Heather Gudenkauf (2025)

A wealthy ranching family hosts a gender reveal party, but things turn chaotic when two explosions rock the party, leaving one woman dead.  An ATF agent is brought in to investigate, and more secrets than anticipated are revealed.  Since there always seems to be a headline about gender reveal parties going wrong, I was intrigued by this premise, but unfortunately this turned out to be kind of a "meh" read for me.  First, the writing was just not great - very stilted and could have used more editing.  There were inconsistencies in the narrative, too - first they said the gender reveal party was when Madeline was 37 weeks pregnant, then she was 7 months, then 4 weeks away from giving birth - none of it made sense!  The ATF agent had a clear conflict of interest but decided to keep it a secret.  None of the reveals were particularly interesting or surprising - just a bunch of unlikable people doing bad things.  The one exception was Madeline's sister, and I wish we had gotten to know her a little better.  3 stars



* This post contains affiliate links; I earn a small commission on qualifying purchases, at no cost to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by, and I would love to hear your thoughts! Comments are always greatly appreciated!