Friday, September 29, 2023

Indie Bookstore Spotlight: Sellers Books, Plus Library Express Bookstore

We recently took a trip to the Poconos in Pennsylvania and while on a day trip to Jim Thorpe, we stopped at Sellers Books, a small independent bookstore that has been located in the historic downtown area since 2008.  This store is literally jam-packed with books from all genres, with space for only two rows of books, plus a small nook in the back.  It didn't feel cluttered, but rather quaint and charming.  A sign in the store lets browsers know that while they used to focus on used books, the pandemic and trying to compete with Amazon has led them to stock mostly new releases now.  I ended up buying two contemporary romances that looked cute to me, as well as a book about trains for Henry (he and Tom took a scenic train ride while in town).  I definitely recommend stopping here if you're ever in the area!





I also wanted to mention one other place we visited during our Pennsylvania trip - Library Express Bookstore!  Not a traditional indie bookstore, this branch of the Scranton Public Library is located at the Marketplace at Steamtown (basically a mall, but it also has a small aquarium and even a dentist's office!).  It acts as both a library and a bookstore - on one side of the store, patrons can check out library books and other materials, and on the other side, there are books for purchase, both used and new.  All proceeds benefit the public library system.  They also have lots of fun bookish merch, such as socks and tote bags.  Their creative window caught my eye, as the display (along with another inside) is made out of book pages!  I bought yet another book for Henry, this time the newest Little Blue Truck book (shhh!).





Have you visited any cool indie bookstores recently?

12 comments:

  1. On the way home from the Poconos last year, we stopped at Jim Thorpe and explored the town a bit. It was so cute! I think I remember walking past that bookstore. The town had so many cute little shops. Also, that Library Express Bookstore looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim Thorpe was adorable, perfect place to walk around for a couple hours!

      Delete
  2. I think it's a great idea to have both a library and a bookstore in a public place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?? The library, especially. The more branches, the better!

      Delete
  3. Sellers Books looks like such a cute bookstore! It's always sad to see all the struggling indie bookstores out there competing with all the big names, but I'm happy when I see them! I love the idea of the Library Express Bookstore! I always have a really fun time at bookstores/sales from libraries, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, and I want to start visiting more indie bookstores. OMG, library book sales are my weakness!

      Delete
  4. Looks like a wonderful bookstore! I love finding places like that...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of a shop that is part library, part book shop. Both of these look super cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were great and I'm glad I could support them!

      Delete

I'm so glad you stopped by, and I would love to hear your thoughts! Comments are always greatly appreciated!