Friday, June 16, 2023

Guest Blogger: My Go-To’s When I Need a Break from Romance

Michele is back today with a fun discussion post!

************************************************************

The majority of my reading falls under the contemporary romance genre.  But – and I feel safe admitting this here among friends – it can feel formulaic after a while.  So to keep my reading fresh, I am always looking to other genres - some similar, some very different – so when I come back to contemporary romance, it feels fun again.  Here are some of my go-to genres and authors when I need a little break:

Romantasy – for when I want romance, but also fairies, pirates and zombies!

  

                   
Historical mysteries – A whodunnit (but make it historical) is always fun!

 

         
Historical fiction – A trip to the past!

  

                
Thrillers – murder, suspense and intrigue!
 
  

             

What is your go-to genre?  How do you keep your reading fresh?

12 comments:

  1. I have been feeling a little burned out on contemporary romance lately, and I've been trying to branch out a little. Historical fiction is one of my go-tos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Historical fiction is my go-to when I need a break from romance. I need to read more thrillers though. I have a few lined up for the summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh, i can't wait to see which thrillers you read!

      Delete
  3. The vast majority of what I read is cont. romance and I'm happy there. :) But sometimes it's fun to branch out and shake things up a little. I still like having a romance aspect in what I read, even when it's not the main focus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely read a lot of non-romance books these days, but they always tend to have some sort of romantic sub-plot. I just need it! Hart & Mercy was outside my norm, but it was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hart & Mercy was a little slow to start for me and i can't believe i almost DNF'ed it since it ending up being a 5 star read for me. Loved it!

      Delete
  5. I think Faeries looks really good- nice cover and good reviews. And I really liked Reckless Girls by Hawkins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great book and I have enjoyed Rachel Hawkins' thrillers as well!

      Delete
  6. I love to switch up my contemporary romance and fantasy reading with some romantasy as well. LOVED Hart & Mercy. Though I want to try more historical fiction and thrillers as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Romance is my go to, but when I want a chance, I turn to fantasy, historical fiction, thrillers, and women's fiction. Pretty much anything except horror, I guess, haha.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by, and I would love to hear your thoughts! Comments are always greatly appreciated!