Monday, October 19, 2020

Trexler Nature Preserve

Tom and I hadn't done any any traveling or hiking this year, for obvious reasons, but to celebrate our anniversary, we decided to do a little weekend getaway in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.  Honestly, I felt a little selfish and guilty about it, because now is not the best time to travel, but we had a good time.  I wanted to spend time outdoors, and I came across Trexler Nature Preserve, not far from Bethlehem in Schnecksville.

 

The Trexler Nature Preserve was established as a game preserve and today offers 18 miles of hiking trails, mountain biking, and wildlife observation.  Extra bonus, the Lehigh Valley Zoo is also within the borders of the Preserve!

We parked at an area called "the Ford," which we used as a jumping off point for two trails.  We started with the Elk Viewing Trail, a 1.7 mile loop.  The first section of the trail was pretty steep, but the view at the top was so worth it!


One of the points of interest on this trail is Schlicher's Covered Bridge, which we saw on the way down from the top.
 

 
The last part of the trail is flat and at least partially paved in some areas, close to the shore of Jordan Creek.  This made for a lovely walk and views of the fall foliage.




We then made our way down the Covered Bridge Trail, a 1.2 mile loop that, yes, features another covered bridge, Geiger's, built in 1860!  I really liked this trail; it was an easy walk along the creek, one side more woodsy and the other more open.
 

 
We wore masks when other hikers and walkers were close by, and pretty much everyone else was also respectful with mask use.  I'm glad we were able to get out and enjoy the beautiful weather and changing leaves!

18 comments:

  1. Wow! Gorgeous views! I think this is only an hour or so from my house. I have never been there, but it looks like a great escape. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christina! It was a beautiful area, I think you'd love it!

      Delete
  2. Looks like you had a beautiful day and the leaves were totally showing off for you. My sister took up hiking during all this, because it's one of the things you can actually do safely right now. She goes out to Cheesequake a lot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheesequake is near where my husband grew up, so he took me there a couple years ago - it was a beautiful area!

      Delete
  3. What stunning scenery! I’m glad you were able to get away for a bit and enjoy some time outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow nice area! Looks beautiful there. Happy anniversary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty! Glad you were able to enjoy some time away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this looks like such a beautiful place. That's great that you and your hubby were able to get away and find such a wonderful spot for a hike. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This indeed looks like a beautiful place and an amazing hike. Good to hear you and your husband still got to do something fun. Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like a wonderful place to spend time in the great outdoors - the autumnal colour transition is lovely also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my favorite part of the season, seeing the colors change!

      Delete

I'm so glad you stopped by, and I would love to hear your thoughts! Comments are always greatly appreciated!