Monday, May 25, 2020

The Book Snob Tag


I haven't done a book tag in awhile, so I figured I'd try this one!  I've had it saved for awhile from Tracy at Cornerfolds, and apparently it originally started on Booktube!

Adaptation Snob: Do you always read the book before you see the film?

Nope!  Sometimes seeing the movie actually makes me want to go back and read the book, to see how they differ.


Format Snob: You can only choose 1 format in which to read books for the rest of your life. Which one do you choose: physical books, eBooks, or audiobooks?

Oh, this is hard because I've really come to rely on my Kindle this year, but I think I'd choose physical books!  There's just something about having an actual book in your hands!


Ship Snob: Would you date or marry a non-reader?

Absolutely!  In fact, I wrote a whole post about how my husband is a non-reader and why it works for us!


Genre Snob: You have to ditch one genre – never to be read again for the rest of your life. Which one do you ditch?

At the risk of seeming like I'm cheating, I'd choose a genre that I hardly read anyway - maybe something like horror?  Sometimes I read spooky or eerie books around Halloween, but it wouldn't bother me too much to not read them again!


Uber Genre Snob: You can only choose to read from one genre for the rest of your life. Which genre do you choose?

As someone who reads pretty broadly and enjoys many genres, this is a really hard question for me!  I love women's fiction, and contemporary romance and science fiction are two more genres I've been enjoying a lot lately, but if I had to choose just one, I think I'd go with my first love, historical fiction!


Community Snob: Which genre do you think receives the most snobbery from the bookish community?

I have to say, I haven't seen too much snobbery WITHIN the bookish community, but I think romance gets a pretty bad rap sometimes, and also maybe YA, specifically adults reading YA.  Can we just all agree that any reading is good reading?


Snobbery Recipient: Have you ever been snubbed for something that you have been reading or for reading in general?

I've never been snubbed for something I was reading, and as for reading in general, I typically get one of two reactions: either total neutrality or they seem impressed at how much reading I do.  It's not usually negative.  One time, though, my mom did ask me what the point of reading so many books was when I don't remember everything about every book.  It would be nearly impossible to remember that much; it's more about the experience you have with the book while you're reading!

Do you agree with any of my answers?  Consider yourself tagged if you'd like to join in!

20 comments:

  1. Loved your answers! I'd pick historical fiction too with the reading one genre for the rest of your life question. 😍

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a fun tag -- AND I 100% agree regarding your thoughts on romance and YA -- so under-rated genres. People need to read them more,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've definitely been reading more romance lately!

      Delete
  3. Love this tag and I'm right there with you on ditching horror if I had to give up a genre and keeping historical if I could only keep one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Romance is probably the most trashed genre, and sad to say, it happens inside and outside the community. I am weird about adaptations. I won't read a book, if I have already seen the adaptation. I like to find the surprises as I read. Reading the book, and then seeing the movie is ok for me, because I am curious about how they execute the story. What they cut, what they keep, how the characters look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think it kind of works both ways for me!

      Delete
  5. I love you answers! I think romance does get a bad rap sometimes but I enjoy it. So... I like watching the movies and tv series too based on books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’d also choose physical books. I like my Kindle, but having an actual book in my hands is more relaxing. After spending a whole work day staring at screens, I don’t want to come home and look at more.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd have to go physical too- there's just something about an actual book- although I love my Kindle too. And same here with adaptations. I sometimes see the movie first and it does make me want to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Kindle has been a lifesaver lately, when I don't have access to my library!

      Delete
  8. Choosing one book format is so impossible. I like physical and digital and audio all for different reasons. But you're right in that there's nothing like holding a physical book in your hands. :) Choosing one genre wouldn't be all that hard for me... total contemporary romance junkie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun tag! I've never been looked down on for something I'm reading. That I know of. LOL I will read the book before the movie most of the time, but in the case of Nicholas Sparks, the movies are almost always better.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so much fun! I can relate to so many of your responses. There is a bit of snobbery around adults reading YA, for sure. I don't see it as often as I used to, though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thankfully that has calmed down a bit!

      Delete

I'm so glad you stopped by, and I would love to hear your thoughts! Comments are always greatly appreciated!