Monday, October 24, 2016

To Continue or Not To Continue: The Series Question

I love a good series - I like getting to know the characters and seeing the stories evolve and continue.  Here are five series that I started recently but am wavering over whether or not to continue.  I'd love to hear your thoughts on whether I should give up or soldier on!

Series: Delirium by Lauren Oliver
I read the first book and thought it was okay, but I definitely wasn't blown away by it.  It seemed kind of slow-moving.  Does the action pick up in the next installment?

Series: Starbound by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner
I actually really enjoyed These Broken Stars and even though there were some unanswered questions, I felt like it was a good stand-alone book.  It seems like the next two stories feature different characters, so I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue.

Series: Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige
I was really excited when I heard about this book: I love The Wizard of Oz and thought it sounded really fun.  But I DNF'ed this book around page 100!  The author just seemed to be trying way too hard to be edgy.  Unless someone has a really convincing argument, I doubt I would pick this up again.

Series: Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
I though the first book was decent (although could have used more world-building), but I had a really difficult time getting through the second book and almost gave up on it.  I kind of feel like now that I'm two books in, I should continue when the next book comes out in 2017, but I'm kind of dreading it!

Series: The Great Library by Rachel Caine
The first book had a unique-sounding premise, and I did enjoy it.  But - I felt like there was SO MUCH going on; non-stop action and every other page it seemed like something important was happening.  It was just so much to keep track of.  I actually felt tired after I read this.
 
So, to continue or not to continue?

2 comments:

  1. I didn't realize so many books were part of series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there are not a lot of stand-alone books in YA!

      Delete

I'm so glad you stopped by, and I would love to hear your thoughts! Comments are always greatly appreciated!