Friday, August 30, 2024

Indie Bookstore Spotlight: Magic City Books

Last month we traveled to Tulsa, Oklahoma to visit my brother, his wife, their kids, and spend some additional time with my mom, too.  On our last night there, my sister-in-law wanted to take me to a local independent bookstore, so of course I said yes!

According to their website, "Magic City Books is an independent bookstore owned by the nonprofit Tulsa Literary Coalition. We specialize in literary and popular fiction and narrative nonfiction for adults. We also offer carefully curated sections for children and teens."

"The mission of the Tulsa Literary Coalition is to celebrate books and reading as a catalyst for reflection, exploration, and connection. We affect social change and bridge cultural, ethnic and religious divides through literature; to leverage community resources by partnering with existing nonprofit organizations to help them achieve their missions by adding a literary component to their services; to foster the love of reading and build a community of book lovers in order to distill the literary energy in Tulsa."


Magic City Books is located in downtown Tulsa's Arts District in a lovely brick building.


The inside feels warm and cozy and is, of course, completely stuffed with books!  Some of the shelves go all the way up to the ceiling, so they have plenty to choose from!  Chalkboard signs announce different genres, and the friendly staff was asking everyone if they wanted recs or to hold their stack of books so they could continue shopping!



The Algonquin Room in the back is available for local groups to meet.


The bookstore hosts author events, with many big names - I actually missed seeing Emily Giffin, one of my favorite authors, by only a couple of days!  Sometimes the events are held in-store, but they also go off-site to larger locations.


My nephews had a blast perusing the shelves and found some new books, and of course I couldn't resist, either!  (Also, how are these boys almost as tall as me??)  If you're ever in the Tulsa area, make sure to drop by Magic City Books!

6 comments:

I'm so glad you stopped by, and I would love to hear your thoughts! Comments are always greatly appreciated!