Friday, May 19, 2023

Little Free Library Sightings: The Jersey Shore Edition

It's always fun to see a Little Free Library "out in the wild!"  It's fun to spot them, browse their selection, leave a book if possible, and then look them up on the official website, because sometimes they have fun stories to go along with them!  There's also an app you can download to find local Little Free Libraries - you can even "check in" to keep track of the ones you've visited.  We recently visited Cape May, New Jersey, for a long weekend, and I found that there were MANY Little Free Libraries in the area!  I wasn't able to visit all of them, but here are the ones we came across!

#58847 - It took us a little bit to find it, but this LFL is located right near City Hall.  According to the website, "The design was specific to match the 1730 Colonial House saved in the great fire of 1878. A major portion of the town burned and was rebuilt in the Victorian Style. We are the oldest structure on Cape Island open to the public."  I didn't take a book, but there were plenty in it.













#126503 - Dubbed Happy House Books for Kids, this library is dedicated to children's books.  The owner was a teacher for 30 years and the collection of books they built up over that time now stocks the library and promotes early literacy.  It's hard to tell from this picture, but the LFL is a mini replica of the owner's home.  I took a book for Henry!













#134664 - The Eat a Peach LFL had a few books in it, but also had a sign that said it would reopen Memorial Day weekend and a note that it will be restocked.  I didn't take a book, but it's fun to know that this LFL will be ready for summer visitors!















#163829 - This LFL was the only one located near Cape May Point, so after our walk around the park/lighthouse area, we stopped quickly by it.
















#91084 - One morning we were out for a walk, so I convinced Tom to meander down to this LFL, located at The Capri hotel.  Unfortunately, it looked they were doing some construction and the LFL had moved on the site and was not currently functioning.  Womp, womp!  I hope it reopens someday because it has a really fun story - "The library box was reconstructed from an old box that Dad built to house a fire extinguisher on the outside of the building and Mom was an avid reader sometimes having three books going at one time. This is a tribute to our folks who helped make the Capri the special place that it is today."








#48217 - While we spent most of our vacation in Cape May, we also drove over to Wildwood for an afternoon because it's where I spent a lot of time as a kid.  On our way out, we stopped at the only LFL on the island!  According to the owner, "We thought this would be a wonderful thing for people walking to the beach and Atlantic Ocean about three blocks away. So, we set to building two little libraries; one for my son to put outside his tutoring agency in Ardmore, PA and one for the path to the beach in New Jersey."  So fun for people to be able to grab a book to read on the beach!  I took an old Julia Quinn book.






22 comments:

  1. Ahh! I know exactly where that little free library is at Cape May Point. We rented a house a few years ago right near there. I love that area! We got to CM and Wildwood a lot, so I will have to keep my eye out for these! CM is the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had such a great time, and I'm happy my family indulged me during my searches!

      Delete
  2. I love the little house replicas. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything about this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love findiing LFLs while out and about too! Looking them up on the official website for their stories is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh I'll have to check these out on vacation this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the one that looks like the house it's in front of! They really took the time to make it special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I really love those kind! They're so unique.

      Delete
  7. You found so many! I got the app last week. I already found 1 library that I didn't know about. It was only 2 miles away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This wasn't even half the ones in Cape May, there were so many more!

      That's awesome that you're finding more!

      Delete
  8. So nice that there were so many little free libraries around during your trip! I love the first one, so cool that it was designed to match the house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and there were so many I missed, too!

      Delete
  9. I never knew there was an app to help find the LFLs. I'll have to download it and see if there are any near me. These are all so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love seeing how people personalize their libraries!

      Delete
  10. Idk if I've seen any LFL in person, but they're such a nice idea and so cute! I love how each is unique.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by, and I would love to hear your thoughts! Comments are always greatly appreciated!