Friday, September 25, 2020

Mini-Reviews: The "What If?" Edition

You Were There Too by Colleen Oakley (2020)

For years, Mia has had dreams about a man she doesn't know.  However, she meets him in real life when she and her husband move to a small Pennsylvania town.  When Oliver reveals he's been dreaming about Mia, too, they begin to search for answers.

I have mixed feelings about this book.  I really liked the premise, but as the story went on, I worried that it would take a too-predictable turn.  There was so little happiness in this book (Mia and her husband Harrison are struggling to start a family; Harrison also has work issues), and at times it felt like the story was taking advantage of all these conveniently timed issues to move towards one conclusion.   That's the part I wasn't crazy about.  Thankfully, the author did surprise me a bit in the end.  I also have to say, I don't think I loved any of the characters.  I sympathized with Mia, but she also annoyed me a bit.  Oliver felt flat, and I feel like Harrison was a good guy but I was steered to feel differently about him for a majority of the book.  However, the writing was good and I might seek this author out again.  3 stars

In Five Years by Rebecca Serle (2020)

Lawyer Dannie Cohan has it all - her dream job, a proposal from her dream guy, and a plan for her future - until a too-realistic dream, showing her in five years with a different man in a different apartment, makes her start to question everything.

I love a premise like this - it really makes me think about things like fate.  Is Dannie's future set in stone?  Can she change it, or is everything she tries to do to avoid it just bringing it closer?  I had some issues with this book.  I wasn't a fan of the writing, which felt very choppy.  I also didn't really like Dannie - she's pretentious and superficial, and there was too much name-dropping.  However, there's an unexpected plotline that actually takes the story in a totally different direction than what I thought it would be from the synopsis - I won't say what it is, because it's better to go in blind, but I will say that it changed the tone of the book and made me care about the characters more.  I was even more interested to know how things would play out.  3 stars

10 comments:

  1. I liked both of these books--good escapes! I was very surprised by the unexpected plot twist In Five Years as well. Still not sure how I feel about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! One on hand, I liked it because it was so unexpected, but on the other hand, it was so sad.

      Delete
  2. You Were There Too does have an interesting premise. Sorry to hear it wasn't awesome but hopefully if you read that author again it will be a little more satisfying in terms of the characters and whatnot.

    In Five Years sounds interesting- I'm glad the plot twist saved it a bit. what if and alternate possibility stories always catch my interest. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! I love stories about fate and the future and stuff like that.

      Delete
  3. In Five Years was on my radar, because, like you, I thought the premise sounded great. However, I find it hard to deal with unlikable characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and Dannie was so awful. The book was pretty different from what I expected, too.

      Delete
  4. The premises for both of these sound really interesting! Sorry to hear both weren't better, but I'm glad to hear that the plot twist in In Five Years took a turn for the better, it's often the opposite that happens it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In Five Years is up for me in the nearish future. I had some issues with Serle's last one so it stalled my excitement a bit. Two of my fave What Ifs are Two Lives of Lydia Bird and Maybe in Another Life. I'm a sucker for these!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by, and I would love to hear your thoughts! Comments are always greatly appreciated!