Friday, November 22, 2019

DNF&Y #2


DNF&Y is a feature hosted by Lindsi at Do You Dog-ear?  According to Lindsi, "DNF&Y is used to explain why I gave up on certain books, and what about them just didn't work for me. What I disliked about a book might be something you love, so it helps to share your thoughts even when they're negative!"  Since I tend to DNF quite a bit, I thought it would be fun to participate!

 This Lie Will Kill You by Chelsea Pitcher (2018)

In this book, five teens arrive at a mansion to compete for $50,000, but really they've been lured there so someone can get revenge on them for the part they played in a teen's death the year before.  I was intrigued by the "I Know What You Did Last Summer" vibe of this, but I ended up DNFing at 27% of the audiobook.  All the drama over who is in love with who got tiresome quickly, and even just a short way in, it was obvious that this would be the type of book where the killer is completely omniscient and knows everything about the teens and their lives, even going so far as to have pictures they never showed anyone before or destroyed years earlier.  It just made me roll my eyes!


 99 Percent Mine by Sally Thorne (2019)

This book wasn't even on my TBR, but I saw it at the library and grabbed it.  I know the author is pretty beloved for her previous book, so I figured I'd try it.  I ended up DNFing at page 72.  I was paying attention to the story, but I felt lost - I had no idea what was going on, like I was missing critical information.  Everything felt so choppy with no transitions whatsoever.  The main character Darcy just seemed like she was trying so hard to be cool and edgy, and it felt disingenuous.  I also didn't like the way she behaved towards her love interest - she's been in love with him for years, but as far as she knows, he has a girlfriend, yet she has no qualms saying really inappropriate things to him.








Have you read either of these books?
 

19 comments:

  1. I haven't tried a Sally Thorn novel yet, but she is a pretty popular author. Choppy writing is a huge disappointment for me as well. Maybe I will put this one off for a while longer. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may try her first book, but this one definitely wasn't for me!

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear that about the Sally Thorne novel. I read her first novel and enjoyed it, but something about the synopsis for 99 Percent Mine didn't appeal to me as much as the other book. Sounds like I didn't miss much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I feel like I need to try her first novel!

      Delete
  3. I like 99 Percent Mine, but it was a book that I know others struggled with. They found the heroine unlikable, but it took time to really understand her, and when I did, I realized there was a lot more beneath the surface, and at least her actions made more sense. I feel like a lot of readers went into it expecting The Hating Game part 2, but this was a new story, in a new world, and I read it with an open mind. But, then again, I like The Hating Game, but didn't go head over heels for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't read her first book, so I really had no expectations, but the heroine was just so unlikable for me.

      Delete
  4. I loved Sally Thorne's first book so, so much so I was really disappointed in 99 Percent Mine. I powered through it, but I really didn't enjoy it and wanted to DNF many times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad, I think I will still try her first book, though!

      Delete
  5. These two are new to me, sorry to hear they didn't work for you. .I hate to DNF a book but I do it from time to time too. There has been a few that pushed through and wishes I hadn't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This Lie Will Kill You sounds fantastic, but I think all that drama would irritate me too and it seems a bit contrived and unoriginal in terms of what the killer knows about the teens :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. This Lie Will Kill You by Chelsea Pitcher seems to have a lot of blah reviews, it a shame, it looked like it could have been really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, the premise isn't super unique but I thought it sounded fun.

      Delete
  8. Aw bummer about these two! Better to DNF though sometimes, for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I probably would have DNF'ed both of these as well. That's a shame about the Thorne book. I've heard good things about her last book but hadn't tried it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, the buzz on her first book was really the only reason I picked this one up, since I didn't know a lot about it. Hopefully I'll have better luck with her first book!

      Delete
  10. I wasn't a fan of The Hating Game, and thought the main character was obnoxious. The way their relationship evolved... haaated it. They were playing a game that was both unprofessional (they worked together) and senseless. I wasn't planning on reading 99 Percent mine, and it seems you struggled with similar issues.

    Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear? 💬

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I haven't decided yet if I'm going to read her first book or not!

      Delete

I'm so glad you stopped by, and I would love to hear your thoughts! Comments are always greatly appreciated!