Monday, September 16, 2019

Embracing Technology: The Serial Reader App


Ever since I started using the Libby app to download e-books from my library (and also to listen to audiobooks!), I've been on the lookout for other apps to enhance my reading experience.  I'd heard about the Serial Reader app awhile ago and thought that would be a good place to start!

The Serial Reader app sends you a snippet of a classic novel, anywhere from 7 to 20 minutes' worth of reading, at the same time each day, and before long, you've read an entire book.  Here's what I love about the app:

  1. It's not a huge time commitment.  Many days I can fit the serial in before I even leave the house.
  2. I don't have to worry about due dates.  Yes, I could borrow these books from the library, but then there's always the issue of finishing it before I have to return it.
  3. It's fun to track your progress and meet your daily goals.
  4. It's a unique way of finally getting to those books I want to read but definitely don't make time for - classics.
  5. It has a pretty extensive collection of books to choose from.
  6. It's free (although you can pay a fee to upgrade and get some additional perks, like the ability to read ahead).
Here are some things I'm not so crazy about, though:
  1. It only has classics, so if you're not into that, this app isn't for you.
  2.  I wish the snippets were a little more uniform in length.  For the first book I read on the app, at least, the lengths seemed to vary widely, some days 7 minutes, other days 20.  That's kind of a big difference.
Overall, if you're someone who wants to wade into the classics or you're looking for a way to incorporate more (or some, or any!) reading into your busy days, I would recommend this app!

Have you tried the Serial Reader app?
 

27 comments:

  1. Interesting concept, but we all know I don't read classics. Glad you are enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a new one to me but it's an unique concept. I can see it being perfect for some who has always been meaning to get through some of the classics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the premise of the app, but the classics only bit gives me pause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah.. although I guess since books used to be printed in pieces in newspapers and whatnot, it kind of makes sense?

      Delete
  4. Thanks, I read a lot of classics, so i'm going to look into this

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard of the Serial Reader app, but knew none of the details, so thanks for that. Classics aren't really my thing, but it might be a nice way to work in one or two to my reading. I'll take a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I don't read a ton of classics, either, but there are some I've been meaning to read, so it's working for that.

      Delete
  6. This sounds pretty cool. I haven't read a classic in a long time but have always enjoyed them so I may have to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh this sounds interesting! I wish I could use reading election devices. I can't right now. They send me to slep SM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will download this and start reading it during my lunchbreaks or while I am waiting for my kids. I do like the classics and this seems like a good way to get through some more fo them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's perfect for that! And since the snippets are rather short, it's great for reading when you just have a few minutes.

      Delete
  9. This sounds like a great app to read some of the classics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of this but it sounds great! Maybe I could make myself read more classics this way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tried this app a couple years ago but found that I never actually read the little snippets hahahah

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the first I've heard of it. Not sure if I could commit to it (sometimes I don't squeeze in the 15 minutes I need for my Attic Notebook I try to do every day) but it sounds like an excellent solution for some people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, definitely not for everyone, but it can come in handy!

      Delete
  13. Thanks for sharing this, Angela! It’s new to me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh! This sounds fun! I'm not a huge fan of many classics, but I may have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by, and I would love to hear your thoughts! Comments are always greatly appreciated!