Friday, April 5, 2019

Backlist Fiction/Nonfiction Mini-Reviews: The Parisian Edition

My dream one day is to go to Paris, so of course I love to read books set in or about this beautiful city!  Although I wasn't crazy about these books, my love for Paris is still going strong.

The Paris Wedding by Charlotte Nash (2017)

Rachael is invited to the Paris wedding of her ex-boyfriend, Matthew, and while there, she realizes she needs to make some changes in her life.

Although Rachael is sweet, she was frustrating as a character - she's one of those characters that is just *too perfect*.  More than one man is in love with her; she makes her own clothes that everyone mistakes for expensive couture; and she is offered jobs by people who don't even know her when she doesn't even have any experience.  Plus, she spent 10 years taking care of her mother until she passed away.  At 28, she is worried that she is too old to start over - please!  I appreciated, though, that Rachael grew somewhat as a character through the story.

Anyway, the premise of a wedding in Paris is so romantic, and I loved the descriptions of the city.  But I felt like the story didn't know what it wanted to be.  It was sort of a romance, sort of about friendship and family, but it was also trying to incorporate this small-town feel. 3 stars


How to Be Parisian Wherever You Are by Anne Berest, Audrey Diwan, Caroline de Maigret, and Sophie Mas (2014)

I have this idea in my head that Parisian women are elegant, chic, cultured, and sophisticated, so of course a book that proclaimed to teach me how to be more like that was very appealing.  Unfortunately, this one was a huge miss for me.

There were some sections I enjoyed - ironically, if you know me, the parts about clothing and taking care of oneself resonated the most.  Parisian women are simple with their clothes, preferring one stand-out piece, and nothing too revealing.  They choose a signature perfume and don't rely greatly on plastic surgery.  Natural beauty is most important.

However, that's really where my enjoyment ended.  I wasn't crazy about the writing in this book.  Sometimes it seemed there were more pictures than words.  The chapters were very short, sometimes only a couple paragraphs, and the writing was trying to be... I don't know, elevated or high-class but came across as pretentious.  My biggest problem is that I didn't really feel like the authors were describing specifically Parisian women in the book.  The descriptions sounded like they could be any woman, anywhere.  Having a bad day at work, not feeling like going to the gym - that's me, and I'm not from Paris.  Perhaps I just didn't "get" this almost totally forgettable book.  2 stars

18 comments:

  1. The first one does sound beautifully romantic, and as someone who would also love to go to Paris, I do adore the look of it! It's a pity it had too much going on :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry these both weren't better for you. The first sounds like it had promise but u hate the too perfect character in books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, it makes it hard to root for them, because you just know everything is going to work out.

      Delete
  3. Disappointing. I love reading books set in Paris so I can soak up the culture, but this one seems like it is missing the Paris culture part. I will pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely missing that unique Paris feel.

      Delete
  4. Such a bummer that these weren't the best reads for you. Glad they didn't put a damper on your love for Paris though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry that Paris let you down. I laughed when I read that the MC thought she was too old at 28. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry these weren't so good. I know how that is. I had to stop one I was listening too just because it was that bad. Oh well here is to hoping the next one is amazing! I love reading about Paris and Italy the most myself. =)

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh! I love the cover of The Paris Wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  8. *high fives* Paris FTW ... no matter how much of a miss the books involving it are!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear that these weren't more enjoyable, especially the nonfiction half of your pairing!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by, and I would love to hear your thoughts! Comments are always greatly appreciated!