Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Can't-Wait Wednesday: Midnight Blue

Can't-Wait Wednesday is hosted by Wishful Endings and helps us spotlight upcoming releases!

Midnight Blue
Simone Van Der Vlugt
Expected publication date: June 26, 2018
From Simone Van Der Vlugt comes her European bestselling novel of a young woman's rise as a painter in Holland's Golden Age—perfect for readers of The Miniaturist, Tulip Fever, and Girl with a Pearl Earring.

Amsterdam 1654: against the backdrop of Holland's Golden Age, a dangerous secret threatens to destroy a young widow's new life.

Following the sudden death of her husband, twenty-five-year old Catrin leaves her small village and takes a job as a housekeeper to the successful Van Nulandt merchant family. Amsterdam is a city at the peak of its powers: science and art are flourishing in the Golden Age and Dutch ships bring back exotic riches from the Far East. Madam Van Nulandt passes her time taking expensive painting lessons from a local master, Rembrandt van Rigin, and when Catrin takes up a brush to finish some of her mistress's work, Rembrandt realizes the maid has genuine talent, and encourages her to continue.

When a figure from her past threatens her new life, Catrin flees to the smaller city of Delft. There, her gift as a painter earns her a chance to earn a living painting pottery at a local workshop. Slowly, the workshop begins to develop a new type of pottery to rival fancy blue-on-white imported Chinese porcelain—and the graceful and coveted Delft Blue designs she creates help revolutionize the industry. But when tragedy strikes, Catrin must decide whether to defend her newfound independence, or return to the village that she'd fled. - from Goodreads

31 comments:

  1. I love how the cover eludes to the main character's future. It's very pretty as well. Sounds emotional, but also really uplifting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this one is news to me. looks good. love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this one sounds very interesting. Not really my usual, but I'm going to keep it in mind for a 'between' book. As others have said, the cover is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds interesting and I hope you love it. I really like the name Catrin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a Dutch author, right? I'm super intrigued now! Definitely sounds like my kind of read. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful sounding book! I love books that incorporate art into the story. The setting is so perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting, I like the time period and I don't think I've read a book set in Amsterdam, actually? Or in Holland in general...

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very cool pick, Angela! I lived in Amsterdam for awhile, and your book made me realise I should TOTALLY be reading more books set there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know about this one, but I love how the cover resembles the Delft artwork and is a nice nod to the story that way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think the cover really represents the story well!

      Delete
  10. The cover is so pretty! I love the blues and the whites, and it gives that summer read vibe. I don't think I've ever read a book set in Amsterdam so that aspect appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is different. I love that cover, so eye catching.

    ReplyDelete
  12. h love that cover. Blurb sounds good too!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The cover is gorgeous and I love the Amsterdam setting, and the comparison to Girl with a Pearl Earring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, all those things really drew me in, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cool cover. I love historical fiction, so I might have to check this one out.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The beginning of the story is a lot like The Girl With a Pearl Earring it seems, but the rest sounds fascinating. It's great she is able to utilize her talent. I hope you'll enjoy this one!

    Ronnie @ Paradise Found

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by, and I would love to hear your thoughts! Comments are always greatly appreciated!