Fable for the End of the World by Ava Reid (2025)In a dystopian future, Inesa's mother has sacrificed her to the Lamb's Gauntlet in order to get rid of her debt. In this livestreamed assassination, Melinoe, a trained assassin, will hunt down Inesa; however, neither of them expects that they'll have to work together to survive the wasteland and that feelings might develop in the most unexpected of circumstances. I really liked the premise of this - a bit Hunger Games, a bit Running Man - but the execution really fell short for me. It felt really dated, like I was reading something from 20 years ago that was trying to depict the future. The constant references to tablets and Melinoe's physical upgrades (like her robot eye) didn't feel fresh. And the plot holes and just overall inconsistencies - for instance, the author indicates that Melinoe's upgrades make her body temp colder, yet Inesa says something about her "warm body" later, and Melinoe explains that the rulers in charge can't do Gauntlets all the time, because it would diminish their effect, yet Inesa's Gauntlet is literally just a couple days after another one ends. Also, we come across at least two parents that willingly sacrifice their CHILDREN to the Gauntlet to alleviate their OWN debt - so gross, sacrifice yourself! However, I liked Inesa's brother and the tension he brought to the story, and while a lot of readers will have a problem with the ending, I appreciated that it was more open-ended and not your typical happy ever after. 3 stars
Seemingly out of nowhere, Naomi's husband Jeremy asks her for a divorce and kicks her out of their house. Naomi is predictably upset, but even more so when she finds out that Jeremy has a new girlfriend, Veronica, and she becomes obsessed with saving her son Teddy from the secrets she uncovers. I'll be honest, I've read so many Freida McFadden books because she has a huge backlist and there always seems to be one available when I need an audiobook. I have been loving thrillers this year, so her books usually scratch that itch. That being said - do I love her books? Not usually. Are they entertaining? Yes, but also wildly implausible and totally bonkers, and not generally in a good way. That brings us to The Divorce, my latest McFadden book. For the first half or so, I was on board. I really felt for Naomi and the cruel way Jeremy treated her, basically tricking her into moving out and then filing for divorce out of nowhere. The way it seemed like he was gaslighting her was truly infuriating. But then we get to the second half of the book and things started to go off the rails. As is typical with McFadden books, no one is who they appear to be at first, so when we get a second POV (Veronica), the entire story changed. Naomi went from having my full sympathy to being unlikable. I did, however, enjoy the theme of mothers doing whatever it takes for their children. 3 stars
* This post contains affiliate links; I earn a small commission on qualifying purchases, at no cost to you.

No comments:
Post a Comment
I'm so glad you stopped by, and I would love to hear your thoughts! Comments are always greatly appreciated!