Monday, January 18, 2021

Down The TBR Hole #19


Down the TBR Hole is a feature created by Lost in a Story (although the blog seems to be down).  I've seen it on a few other blogs and thought I would try it out myself!  It seems like a really good way to cull your TBR of those books you're no longer interested in.  So, how does it work?

  • Go to your Goodreads to-read shelf.
  • Order on ascending date added.
  • Take the first 5 (or 10 (or even more!) if youre feeling adventurous) books. Of course, if you do this weekly, you start where you left off the last time.
  • Read the synopses of the books
  • Decide: keep it or should it go?
Here are the books I'm looking at this time:
 
Race of Aces by John R. Bruning
 
Race of Aces is a nonfiction book about the WWII fighter pilots who battled to become the greatest American airman of the war, by shooting down the most enemy planes.  I'm always on the lookout for more nonfiction books, and the WWII era is one I enjoy both in fiction and nonfiction.  Keep!

Hannah's War by Jan Eliasberg
 
WWII historical fiction novel about a female German physicist on the brink of scientific discovery who later joins the Oppenheimer team at Los Alamos.  Keep!

The Roxy Letters by Mary Pauline Lowry
 
An artist writes letters to her ex-boyfriend (and roommate) while also trying to save the funky vibe of her hometown, Austin, Texas.  I don't know, this just sounds so weird and the name-dropping in the blurb is off-putting.  Pass!

The German Heiress by Anika Scott
 
I don't know how this happened, but this is the third WWII era book on this edition's list!  This one takes place in the post-war era - a German woman is searching for her friend while also trying to avoid the authorities.  Keep!

Oasis by Katya de Becerra
 
A group of young people working on an archaeological dig site are caught up in a sandstorm; when they come across an oasis, it turns out not to be the sanctuary they first imagine it to be.  The reviews are kind of putting me off this one - pass!

The Prized Girl by Amy K. Green
 
A teenage pageant queen is found murdered, and her sister starts her own investigation to find the killer.  This just isn't grabbing me.  Pass!

The Sunday Potluck Club by Melissa Storm
 
Women who meet in the cancer ward of a hospital (and have lost a loved one) start a support group.  I want to like this one, but the blurb seems a little scattered.  Pass!
 
 
 
 
Have you read any of these?

 

25 comments:

  1. The only two I remember seeing around are The Roxy Letters and Potluck Club. Potluck Club actually appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you gravitate towards grief books, so that makes sense!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read of these but the ones you're keeping are the ones I'm interested in as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of these, but should start examining my own goodreads shelf. This might help "tame the beast" as they say ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Race of Aces sounds so interesting! Bummer about the reviews for Oasis, that sounds like an interesting premise. I feel like books with setups like that often end up missing the mark for a lot of people (per reviews, at least), they must be hard for authors to get right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, I think there are a lot of expectations that are hard to meet!

      Delete
  5. I'm actually the opposite. I have read a couple of books with WWII as the setting but there are such a saturated setting in historical fiction... I try to avoid them unless it sounds absolutely amazing. But maybe you convince me with one of your reviews (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, maybe! I really enjoy WWII as a setting, but I agree there are a LOT of them!

      Delete
  6. Coincidentally, I was just looking at The German Heiress a few days ago. I hope we both enjoy it when we get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are all new to me but The German Heiress and Hannahs' War both sound pretty fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hannah's War sounds like a definite keeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? A female scientist is a new WWII angle for me!

      Delete
  9. Good keep choices I think! Locking forward to your previous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always feel good de-cluttering but then I find myself adding 5 new books in the next week, haha! Oh well, at least it keeps my list fresh and updated :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’ve not read any of these but enjoy the ones you’ve chosen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not sure I've heard of any of these! I hope you like the ones you've kept!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by, and I would love to hear your thoughts! Comments are always greatly appreciated!