Friday, April 13, 2018

Blog Break + Review: She Regrets Nothing

Just wanted to let you all know that I'll be taking a break from the blog next week.  I look forward to catching up with everyone soon!  Now, onto this week's review!

She Regrets Nothing
Andrea Dunlop
Published February 6, 2018
In the tradition of The Emperor’s Children and The House of Mirth, the forgotten granddaughter of one of New York’s wealthiest men is reunited with her family just as she comes of age—and once she’s had a glimpse of their glittering world, she refuses to let it go without a fight.

When Laila Lawrence becomes an orphan at twenty-three, the sudden loss unexpectedly introduces her to three glamorous cousins from New York who show up unannounced at her mother’s funeral. The three siblings are scions of the wealthy family from which Laila’s father had been estranged long before his own untimely demise ten years before.

Two years later, Laila has left behind her quiet life in Grosse Point, Michigan to move to New York City, landing her smack in the middle of her cousins’ decadent world. As the truth about why Laila’s parents became estranged from the family patriarch becomes clear, Laila grows ever more resolved to claim what’s rightfully hers. Caught between longing for the love of her family and her relentless pursuit of the lifestyle she feels she was unfairly denied, Laila finds herself reawakening a long dead family scandal—not to mention setting off several new ones—as she becomes further enmeshed in the lives and love affairs of her cousins. But will Laila ever, truly, belong in their world? Sly and sexy, She Regrets Nothing is a sharply observed and utterly seductive tale about family, fortune, and fate—and the dark side of wealth. - from Goodreads
This is one of those books that had so much potential for me (NYC setting, family secrets), but unfortunately, it fell flat.  After her mother dies, Laila Lawrence finds out she's actually a member of a very wealthy New York family.  Two years later, she moves to NYC to claw her way into the lives of her cousins (Liberty, Nora, and Leo).

Laila is probably one of the most unlikable main characters I've ever come across.  She's a conniving, manipulative social climber.  She feels she's entitled to a glamorous lifestyle and is willing to dredge up old family secrets in order to get her way.  Lying is second-nature to her, and she readily puts on different personas depending on who she's trying to manipulate.

Many of the other characters are just as bad as Laila.  Nora and Leo are stereotypical socialites, allergic to hard work and addicted to gossip and spending money.  Pretty much all the male characters are sexist and ageist (such as believing only women in their 20s are worth marrying, for their looks and fertility).  Perhaps it's an accurate look at the lives of the wealthy (I wouldn't know), but it was hard to get past.  Pretty much the only redeeming character is Liberty, who is so dedicated to her career as a literary agent despite not needing to work (I love that she is always reading a book!).

The writing was kind of bland and stilted at times, and it was hard to get a handle on the tone of the book.  It wasn't really scandalous enough to be dark, nor light enough to be chick lit.  Then, an event near the end of the book comes out of nowhere and unfortunately for me brought the whole book down with unnecessary drama.  If the story had just focused more on Laila and how she tries to insert herself into the rest of the family (and been about 50-75 pages shorter), I think the book could have been more successful.

2.5 stars

21 comments:

  1. Oh boo! I was thinking about this one but waiting for reviews. Sounds like I will skip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know, you may like this one way more than I did!

      Delete
  2. I remember reading about this book, but I think I'll not rush to read it now. Too many others more appealing to me. And, I'm about to take a blog break as well. Have fun and we'll see you on the other side of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear this wasn't a better read for you. I was intrigued because of the NYC setting but I think I would have the same issues with it that you did. Thanks for the head's up on your blog break. We'll see you when you get back :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn, I hate it when writing is bland or stilted. Serious is one of my bookish pet peeves. I need good writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dammit, what a promising premise to be let down by execution -- I had expected a story of secrets and lies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh, what disappointment :( The cover is so cool! But when you said: "It wasn't really scandalous enough to be dark, nor light enough to be chick lit", that immediately turned me off. I hate it when books flounder in the middle like that, it's so frustrating to read.

    Enjoy the blogging break!

    ReplyDelete
  7. aww man sorry this was such a disappointment, but those parts would also drive me crazy ;/ not really educated in how wealthy spoiled kids act.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lily - it's too bad this was such a let-down for me.

      Delete
  8. Have fun on your blog break! Sorry this didn't work out for you. I'm not sure if I'd mind having the characters be so unlikable. If I found their motivation believable, I think it's something I could live with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, unlikable characters aren't necessarily a deal-breaker for me, but some of them were just so obnoxious.

      Delete
  9. A shame this one wasn't for you. I quite like an unlikeable protagonist, but it sounds like this book has other problems that would put me off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was just a perfect storm of things going wrong for me!

      Delete
  10. Oh... It's hard to like a book in which there aren't likeable characters... I hope you'll come across a better one next time!

    Ronnie @ Paradise Found

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no, this sounded like it would be really good. It’s hard when you don’t care for the characters though. 😞

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by, and I would love to hear your thoughts! Comments are always greatly appreciated!