Monday, October 23, 2017

4 Things I Want to Do Because of Recent Reads


I think we've all wanted to visit the settings of our favorite books or to try something new or different because of something we've read about in a book - at least, I hope it's not just me!  So, here are four things I'm adding to my to-do list, inspired by stories I've recently read.

 
1. GLAMPING
 
When I was a teenager, we did a fair amount of camping around the northeast.  While I enjoyed it at the time, as an adult I've been reluctant to break out a tent and sleeping bag and spend a night or two under the stars.  Enter glamping - "glamorous camping."  Luxury tents, pods, or cabins, easily accessible restrooms, sometimes even gourmet meals - you can be outdoorsy but in the utmost comfort!  I wanted to try glamping after reading about it in Sophie Kinsella's My Not So Perfect Life.  The main character's father starts a glamping business on his farm, and it just sounds like so much fun!  Now, to start looking for glamping sites near me!
 
 
 
 
 
2. WATCH GONE WITH THE WIND
 

Gone With the Wind is one of my favorite books, so I was really excited to read A Touch of Stardust  by Kate Alcott, which partially takes place on the set of the movie.  It was so fun to read about the behind-the-scenes stuff, about the casting or how different scenes were filmed.  I haven't seen the movie in years (I'm not even sure if I've actually seen the whole thing!), but reading about it makes me want to watch it and swoon over Clark Gable/Rhett Butler!







3. TAKE A DNA TEST

In The Forever Summer, Marin discovers that her father isn't really her biological father based on the results of a fluke DNA test that show a very different heritage than his own.  Now, I'm not in the same situation as Marin, but I would like to take one of those DNA tests that give you more specific information on your ethnicity and genealogy.  Of course, I have an idea of where my ancestors came from, but it would be cool to know if those things match up.








4. VISIT NANTUCKET

So many of Elin Hilderbrand's books take place on Nantucket, an island off the coast of Cape Cod, Massachusetts.  Her stories make me want to visit this quaint community - the beaches, the fresh seafood, the charming architecture.  Even though I do get seasick quite easily, I'm still drawn to all things nautical.  I love the whole vibe - Nantucket has so much history, but it's also quite trendy, with cute shops and restaurants.  It just seems like an idyllic place to spend a few days!







Have you done any of these things?  What things have you added to your bucket list because you read about them in a book?
 

32 comments:

  1. What a fun idea for a post! But I have to admit these are not things that would be on my to-do list, haha (except maybe the DNA one because that would be cool). I am so not outdoorsy that even glamping sounds awful lol, and I also get seasick and and don't like boats or seafood or nautical things. Beaches are nice though! And I do like boardwalks and places with cute little shops. And of course now that you're asking, I can't remember anything that a book has ever made me want to do -_-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My husband would probably never want to go to Nantucket - he's not a huge fan of beaches and he's allergic to shellfish, so his dining options may be limited!

      Delete
  2. Oh my word a DNA test would be so cool! I would love to do that someday too. Although I doubt I have very interesting ancestors, lol ;)

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither, but it'd be interesting to find out if I'm actually as Italian as I think I am!

      Delete
  3. Such a fun post! We can definitely go glamping. There are actually places in NJ for this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a cool idea! I've definitely done things simply because I was inspired by a book ;) Also glamping would be so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, being outdoors and also being comfortable would be perfect!

      Delete
  5. I love camping, so I’d probably love glamping. It sounds expensive, though. I also want to take a DNA test. I don’t know much about my mom’s side of the family. The results would be interesting.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably would be expensive, but it would be fun just to try it!

      I would be curious to see if what I believe my ancestry to be is actually accurate.

      Delete
  6. Oooh! I've always wanted to take a DNA test as well! Maybe someday :) Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Ha, so glad others also want to do the DNA test!

      Delete
  7. I love this idea for a post! Books often make me want to visit certain countries, but I'll have to think more about specific activities and the like. I think going glamping would be really fun!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do often want to travel to different countries when I read, too!

      Delete
  8. I've never really been into camping myself, but add a bit of comfort and yeah, glamping may be perfect for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I imagine it's perfect for when you want to be outdoorsy but not *too* outdoorsy.

      Delete
  9. Ooh, love this idea! I'll be honest--I've never camped and I honestly have no desire to, but I would definitely give glamping a shot. :) I also really want to take a DNA test; I also have a general idea, but I know that there is so much more than the little I know. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, I think camping was more fun when I was a kid and didn't require a nice bed, but I think I could get into glamping!

      Delete
  10. I read the Kinsella book and the whole glamping thing sounded fun. I adore GWTW and I haven’t seen the movie in years, I want to watch it and read that book. I just finished Hildenbrand’s Winter Solistice and I want to visit Nantucket at Christmas time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would highly recommend A Touch of Stardust. Oh, Nantucket at Christmas would probably be so magical!

      Delete
  11. Fun post! Glamping sounds like a lot of fun, especially since I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to real camping. Most of what I've added to my bucket list because of reading are places I'd love to travel to, like Greece and Germany.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too - like every book set in Paris makes me want to visit it even more!

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful idea for a post! I enjoyed reading your responses. I didn't realize that the Sophie Kinsella book featured glamping, but now I want to read it even more. That is also something I'd love to do one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The Sophie Kinsella book was so fun, I hope you love it!

      Delete
  14. Glamping! My So-called perfect life was so much fun, and the only way I'd ever try camping!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this list! What a great idea to talk about how books have inspired you to do things in real life. Glamping does sound like lots of fun!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a fun list to put together.

      Delete
  16. Now Glamping sounds like my kind of camping! I always avoided actual camping like the plague when I was growing up. The thought of being out in the wilderness with no actual bathroom just makes me all kinds of unhappy lol Taking a DNA test is also on my to-do list. A lot of my friends have been doing it, and it's crazy to hear the results they get about their ethnicity and genealogy. Nantucket also seems like a great vacation place. Great list, Angela!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, having a real bathroom was always one of my issues with camping!

      These DNA tests produce some crazy results sometimes!

      Delete

I'm so glad you stopped by, and I would love to hear your thoughts! Comments are always greatly appreciated!